“Stop sending expired food”….”fried chicken 64.99”
IQALUIT, Nunavut — A head of cabbage for $20. Fifteen bucks for a small bag of apples.
A case of ginger ale: $82.
Fed up and frustrated by sky-high food prices and concerned over widespread hunger in their communities, thousands of Inuit have spent weeks posting pictures and price tags from their local grocery stores to a Facebook site called Feed My Family.
WHAT IN THE FUCK? This shit is not okay.
ughhslfkajsdlf gross gross gross
Reblogging for the extra articles.
Also… I might show up to this protest and support them.
Pay attention to this stuff, please, followers who haven’t heard about this! This kind of thing is completely erased in news media.
This is really fucking important.
This is why I don’t respect anyone who blindly supports the anti-sealing protestors. Because for a lot of people, it’s the only affordable option.
It’s not just Iqaluit. In Nain, Labrador this problem has been going on for ages and nobody does anything about it. $47 for a ham and $17 for a block of cheese. In Rigolet, Labrador, a loaf of bread costs $7. Here’s another picture of an Iqaluit food price changing before your very eyes.
The NNCP is starving people, reducing their food choices, and keeping people on EI poor. This is so, so wrong.
How can we help? I joined the group and checked out the website, but I didn’t see anything that can be actively done (other than raising awareness, which, of course, is great).
Excellent question! If you read through the group (which is here, for anyone who missed it), there are people talking about some ways to help.
- Look at the latest news on the Feeding My Family website to see what the priorities are and how you might be able to help.
- If you’re Canadian, call your local MP and ask to discuss this issue and express your concern.
- Look up ways to support putting pressure onto airlines to charge fair rates (a $1000 plane ticket should be from one coast to the other, not a few hundred miles).
- Research and learn what you can about food sustainability. For a start, how about learning square foot/metre (French intensive) gardening or container gardening and starting to practice it yourself? Share these techniques with friends and family. Get good at it so you can teach them to others who have poor food security in your own area.
- For the love of God, stop signing “anti-sealing”/”anti-hunting” petitions and supporting Greenpeace’s actions without understanding the complicated, nuanced situation in the North.
- Watch the FB group, because people there mention direct donations and ways to help the organizations actually on the ground there.
- For example, one person is starting up a donation project/fundraiser.
- Look at what organizations like FoodShare are doing and support them.
There is so much to be done. Sharing news articles and stories, lists of resources, donation and fundraising pages, and knowledge about food security is critical, but there’s a lot more work of all sorts.
you know what would be cool? a show about, like, vigilante Victorian prostitutes hunting down Jack the Ripper.
They never did figure out why he stopped killing. And most serial killers don’t stop unless they are stopped. I’m just saying.
brb writing the script
Yesterday Ash and I went out with some friends to find an abandoned quarry we have been searching for. It’s not listed on any maps. The water is cool and bottle-green due to a (non-harmful) mineral in the water. This also makes it uninhabitable for most creatures that would normally lurk in the depths, so I was less nervous about getting my toes nibbled on.
I don’t think we’ll be taking a dip again anytime soon, though, the season for that is over. After our storms here the water was pretty cold.
Do you ever have that moment when a kid is looking at you and you realize that they’re looking at you as a grown up? Then its like no child im a children too, dont. Im sorry my outward appearance confuses you.
I’m sorry my outward appearance and standard behaviors confuse you. I know I’m an adult because I don’t have to ask for cookies. I just give them to myself.
…and then I dunk the cookies in wine while watching as much TV as I want…
I still can’t believe she’s 11.
Thoughtful underwear with hidden powers. For every pair purchased you fund 7 pads to a girl in need.
OH SHIT YOU GUYS THIS COMPANY IS MAKING UNDERWEAR THAT IS STAIN RESISTANT, ANTIMICROBIAL, AND WILL ABSORB UP TO 6 TEASPOONS OF LIQUID BUT STILL LOOKS FUCKING SEXY
AND DID I MENTION THIS PART:
For every pair of THINX you buy, you help one girl in the developing world stay in school by providing her with seven washable, reusable cloth pads.
AND WHY IS THAT SUCH A BIG DEAL? HERE’S WHY:
After doing some research, Agrawal says she found that more than 100 million girls in the developing world were missing a week of school because of their periods, and using things such as leaves, old rags, or plastic bags in the place of sanitary pads.
THE SIZES RUN FROM XS TO XXL AND THE PRICES ARE NOT INSANE, THEY’RE OBVIOUSLY HIGHER THAN THOSE 5 FOR $10 SALES AT TARGET BUT YOU WON’T HAVE TO THROW THEM OUT BECAUSE YOU MISCALCULATED YOUR FLOW AND BLED ALL OVER THEM BEFORE YOU COULD GET TO A BATHROOM
I’M SORRY FOR SHOUTING I’M JUST REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THIS
LIKE HOLY FUCKBASKET IT’S ABOUT DAMN TIME
So I learned from my friend that coconut water can be used as an emergency blood transfusion, and of course my first thought was “So, can a vampire drink coconut water?”
and of course we had this idea of these tropical vampires being horrified when these old world vampires come and are still drinking blood like some sort of monster.
guys oh my god
but consider this: vampires who turn into fruit bats